The OCTBTS 3000 miniature base station with the XPS option covers frequency range from 400 MHz to 6 GHz, making it ideal for applications such as UAV communications, backhaul, and broadband access.
MONTREAL, Canada – June 10, 2014 – Octasic Inc., a leading supplier of specialty base station technology and platforms for wireless OEMs, today introduced the XPS option for its popular OCTBTS 3000 embedded SDR platform. The OCTBTS 3000 is the world’s smallest multi-mode, fully programmable base station platform, and has proven extremely attractive for developers of hand-held and man-portable systems, as well as UAVs. The platform offers pre-integrated solutions for LTE, HSPA, GSM, and CDMA base stations. When equipped with the XPS option, which covers an extended frequency range from 400 MHz to 6 GHz, the OCTBTS 3000 also allows OEMs to develop proprietary and standards-based air links in widely-available Near-LOS and LOS bands such as 3.5 – 3.8 GHz, and 5 – 6 GHz.
“We developed the XPS option covering bands up to 6 GHz to respond to requirements from our clients for high-capacity, long-range wireless links, particularly for UAV applications” commented Emmanuel Gresset, VP Software Defined Radio at Octasic. “The miniature size of OCTBTS 3000 is ideal for portable and airborne applications, and Octasic’s SDR development environment provides the capability to rapidly implement optimized air interfaces for communications, control, and video applications.”
The OCTBTS 3000 is ideal for vendors developing power-efficient portable and embedded solutions such as man-pack base stations, hand-held network analyzers, vehicle-mounted base stations, and UAV communications systems. End-users include tactical and public safety
organizations. The OCTBTS 3000 with the XPS option gives OEMs a single platform to develop LTE-based systems over the entire frequency range under consideration for LTE, and is also an efficient platform for secure communications systems based on OFDM or CDMA technology. The OCTBTS 3000 also offers hardware expansion capabilities to support additional video interfaces and codecs, and SoC-based encryption.
Sample scenarios where an OCTBTS 3000 based system equipped with the XPS option are an ideal fit include:
- A public safety operator can deploy a lightweight UAV equipped with an OCTBTS 3000 XPS after a natural emergency for video surveillance work, using the proposed 5 GHz UAV band to provide secure, long-range, high-bitrate video feeds.
- A tactical operator can use an OCTBTS 3000 based network-in-a-box solution for LTE broadband communications in the widely-available 3.x GHz frequency bands.
Octasic will be showcasing the entire OCTBTS family, and LTE and HSPA integrated solutions, at the Eurosatory 2014 Defence and Security Exhibition in Paris, Hall 6, Booth DC 408, from June 16 to 20.
About the OCTBTS 3000
The OCTBTS 3000 is an SDR base station on a 75 mm by 70 mm module that incorporates Octasic’s OCT2224W baseband SoC. The OCTBTS 3000 offers a unique combination of benefits for developers of specialized base stations, including:
- Miniature dimensions designed for embedded applications
- Frequency agility from 400 MHz to 6 GHz with XPS option
- Support for FDD and TDD operation
- Range in excess of 20 Km and vehicular-speed mobility for all mobile standards
- Pre-integrated, single platform solution LTE, UMTS, GSM/EDGE, and CDMA
- Rapid, low-risk development, thanks to hardware/software solutions
- SDR development environment for OEMs wishing to enhance the standard radio software or develop their own radio interfaces
Octasic Inc. is a leading provider of SoCs, software, and integrated hardware/software platforms for the worldwide mobile wireless and media processing markets. Octasic’s hardware/software platforms are full-featured systems that allow developers to reduce costs, de-risk their projects, accelerate time to market, and focus engineering resources on their specific areas of expertise. The company’s high-quality solutions are based on Opus, a power-efficient asynchronous DSP architecture. Founded in 1998, Octasic is a private company headquartered in Montreal, Canada, with R&D facilities in Canada and India, and a worldwide sales support network. For more information, please visit wp.designshoppstaging.com/sites/octasic.
Octasic PR contact:
+1 514 282-8863