The OCTBTS 3500 base station platform allows OEMs to quickly implement compact solutions that simultaneously support mobile broadband and legacy air interfaces
MONTREAL, Canada – May 6, 2014 – Octasic Inc., a leading supplier of specialty small cell technology and platforms for wireless OEMs, today introduced the latest member of its OCTBTS family, the dual-sector OCTBTS 3500. The OCTBTS 3500 is the world’s smallest and most power-efficient dual-sector small cell SDR platform. The platform allows OEMs to easily implement base stations and specialized radio systems with two independent transceivers that support any combination of GSM, CDMA2000, HSPA, or LTE air interfaces, or custom air interfaces.
The OCTBTS 3500 is an ideal platform for vendors that target highly compact, power-efficient, and portable base stations. End-users include mobile network operators, as well as tactical and public safety organizations. Typical applications for the OCTBTS 3500 include outdoor small cells, rural networks, deployable networks, private cellular networks, vehicle-mounted base stations, and specialized portable radio systems such as network analyzers. The OCTBTS 3500 rounds out the OCTBTS platform family, allowing OEMs to efficiently develop a suite of base stations with one, two, and three sectors; all based on a common software and baseband processing platform.
“The OCTBTS 3500 meets demands from our clients for a flexible, dual-mode solution” commented Emmanuel Gresset, VP Software Defined Radio at Octasic. “Mobile broadband is now a requirement in all vertical markets, which drives the need for small 3G and 4G base stations that offer the range and mobility features of macro cells, while still supporting legacy and specialized air interfaces.”
Sample scenarios where an OCTBTS 3500 based system can offer exceptional value include:
- A mobile network operator in a remote area can use a single solar-powered base station to offer 2G voice service, while simultaneously offering 3G or 4G broadband services.
- A public safety operator can deploy a single vehicle-mounted base station to offer emergency GSM service to the general public, while offering LTE broadband service to first responders.
About the OCTBTS 3500
The OCTBTS 3500 is a complete dual sector SDR base station on a 100 mm by 130 mm module. In addition to low power consumption and small size, the OCTBTS 3500 offers all the benefits of the OCTBTS family, including:
- 20 Km range and vehicular-speed mobility for all mobile standards
- Multi-protocol support (GSM/EDGE, UMTS, HSPA, LTE, CDMA) on a single platform
- Fast frequency agility from 400 MHz to 3 GHz
- Rapid, low-risk development, thanks to pre-integrated hardware/software solutions
- SDR development environment for OEMs wishing to enhance the standard radio software or develop their own radio interfaces
OEMs need only add a power amplifier and filters suitable to their application.
Octasic Inc. is a leading provider of SoCs, software, and integrated hardware/software platforms for the worldwide mobile wireless and media processing markets. Octasic’s hardware/software platforms are full-featured systems that allow developers to reduce costs, de-risk their projects, accelerate time to market, and focus engineering resources on their specific areas of expertise. The company’s high-quality solutions are based on Opus, a power-efficient asynchronous DSP architecture. Founded in 1998, Octasic is a private company headquartered in Montreal, Canada, with R&D facilities in Canada and India, and a worldwide sales support network. For more information, please visit wp.designshoppstaging.com/sites/octasic.
Octasic PR contact
+1 514 282-8863